Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hard Sale


So…Cora decided that 430AM was a good time to wake up. I am not so sure. We got up, had our coffee, checked our emails and then dressed to make a yard sale. We were successful. I tied a rope to the light pole and the house and we hung clothes from that. I borrowed tables from the school and we used those. I placed the signs and all was ready.

I had a Honda lawnmower that has not worked since last spring. I have long since given up on it. It was something wrong with the carburetor, but my Father-in-Law and I were not able to figure it out. I probably could have taken it somewhere, but the mower we bought last month was probably cheaper than fixing it. One gentleman was interested in it when told I’d sell it for 5 dollars. He was…persnickety. He wanted the grass catcher. I think I have it, but it is probably in the back of the shed…and I may have taken it to the dump since it was rotten. Anyway, he would not buy the $400.00 lawnmower with a minor problem (for someone with a bit of know-how) for $5 without the fricking grass catcher. He said I should go look for it and he would be back for it. A few minutes later another guy showed up and asked about it. I told him I’d take ten dollars and offered to call him if I found the grass catcher. He gave me ten and came back with vehicle that it would fit in. The other (Rude) gentleman came back and was apparently irritated that I had sold it before he could buy it. I did not feel bad as he was such a grump.

Our neighbor girls came over and looked at our wares. The youngest came first. Her name is Cora, too. I took her around to each table trying to sell all kinds of things to her. I think we ended up netting 94 cents from her…and part of that was coming down in price about four dollars…I was not in it for the money, and I have a soft spot for girls named Cora. Her older sisters eventually followed. Then the rest of the family eventually made it. They are a great family and I enjoy visiting with them. The two older girls (fifth grade and ninth grade) came back a while later and stayed. I think just to visit. I think they would have stayed all day if we had not gone off to gather our signs! I was not the only one giving things to these girls. Cora gave them a DVD and who knows what else. Still, I prefer to have neighbors like that to others.

Now? We are resting out of the heat, which is 98.8 degrees out. At least it isn’t a humid heat, more of a searing heat. I hope all of you are having a happy June. I hope that anyone who reads this blog will drop a comment with a little info on your summer so far. Hot? Not Hot? Too humid? Or, maybe, just say, “Hi!”

3 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like it was a GREAT Day...
Well our weather here was 109 with 20% humidity... We DON"T like humidity..
Have a Great Sunday.. let's make some more money... I want to see the babies room DONE..LOL.
Okay.. waiting for names also...and you know what I am talking about...LOL..

frogglet said...

Well it was a good sale, more tomorrow i wonder if we will have a 5th grader and a 9th grader for help again. I feel much better after my post Yardsale nap.

Jimh. said...

Yes, I believe we shouldhave mandatory naps when the temperature rises above a certain point.