Monday, July 19, 2010

Technology Rocks!

What would we do without Facebook and technology?  I was in the backyard last night.  I noted that the skies were filled with smoke from a fire some distance away.  I took my phone and camera and went to locate the source of the smoke.  It was clear by the time I got to the highway that the flames were about ten miles away.  Out near Highland/Cowiche.

I stopped at the high school and walked up to the stadium which has a clear view and took a few pictures.  I then went home and emails the photo to my dad 30 miles away, who looked at it via his iphone.  It just seems amazing to me that we no longer have to rely on News Cameras to bring us "Satellite" coverage of an event.  In minutes, my father was looking at a photo of an even 45miles away from him.  I COULD have taken video, had I chosen and he could have viewed that.

I COULD have taken a picture with my phone and sent him that.  WHO KNEW, thirty years ago, that the Brick Phones they were making would evolve into something that could take videos and photos?  Am I alone in my awe?  Am I the only one that stops and stares in amazement at the digital kingdom I am in charge of? The answer, of course, is no, but I wonder if you all consider it as often as you might.

I was not sure where the fire was exactly, so I posted it on Facebook and a few of my friends came back and told me it was about where I thought it was.

Of course, I could have GOOGLED it, had I been so inclined.  It is amazing to me how much information is available at our fingertips!  In 1987, if you had told me to Google something, I would have probably thought you meant ogle and would have looked closely at something.  I love the word google!

For instance, and we will go back to the phone thing, a friend I work with sent me a picture on the phone.  It was a picture of Elton John!!!  He went to the Elton John concert last night at the Sun Dome and thought to send me a photo of ELTON JOHN!  Now, THAT is the ultimate in cool!

I know we do this everyday now, but just a few years ago we still were waiting for film to be developed.  In the next day or two I will have the digital equivalent of an SLR (Single Lens Reflex) from the olden days.  NO FILM!!!!

Ahh, I love technology when it works!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I can't wait for you to get your new camera! I want one, too....