Monday, July 26, 2010

Bird of Prey!

DSC_0480

I was discussing with a coworker of mine the hawks I saw Saturday.  He suggested that they may be Swainson’s Hawks.  These are hawks that migrate all the way to Argentina!  He said they either have a nest or chicks nearby.  He asked if I would like to meet with him and we could take pictures.  He offered me the use of one of his lenses…or course I said, “YES!”

DSC_0529

The lens he let me borrow was a Nikkor 80-400mm!!  It was a lot like standing right next to the raptor! 

DSC_0539

He is a Falconer, which means he has a pet(?) hawk that he uses to hunt small animals.  He uses a dog to help the hawk flush out and catch small animals.

We never did find the nest or their chicks, but the two hawks obliged to give us several great photo ops! 

Technorati Tags: ,

DSC_0535

And here is a good shot of my coworker!

DSC_0546

1 comment:

Diana, Eric, and kids said...

Awesome shots! You should make the first one your FB profile. I had a hard time figuring out what your new profile was til I clicked it.