Friday, March 19, 2010

Reading and Writing

I taught a low reading/writing class yesterday.  Their assignment was to write a five paragraph essay on what they could to get the best education possible.  Easy.  I had them give me ideas to put on the board in a bubble web thingy(the question at the center, and ways to answer it branching off).  Most of the ideas were pretty stock:  No drugs, no alcohol, no gangs, improve study habits, etc.

There was one combo at a table where a boy and a girl were getting on each other's nerves.  I said that their education would probably be served better if they had less of each other.  later, I walked by the table and looked at that girls ideas.  There it was in blatant language.  "No Jesus."  Of course, the boy's name was Jesus (pronounced HEY SOOSS for those of you inexperienced with Latin-American names) and she meant him, but I chose to enjoy the moment the most by misunderstanding and asked her how NOT GOING TO CHURCH would help her education.  She stuttered and then realized why I had said that.  The kids all got a chuckle out of it, as did she.  I looked at his paper a second later and they must have written each other's names down as soon as I'd said it.

I came home and did a few things adoption related, made a call to the agency basically to verify they know nothing more than they did last week and to register our disappointment at that turn of events.  Then I began doing dishes and watching TV.

When Cora got home she made dinner!  She made Maple Bourbon Chicken.  Now, we've had it on salmon and chicken before.  Cora is excellent at mixing it up.  The first time the chicken did not hold the glaze, but this time Cora excelled!  Oh!  It was mouth watering and I am glad I pulled four chicken breasts out of the freezer, because that's what we will be having for lunch, too!
We spent the rest of the evening relaxing.  I made a few drawings for the coming coloring book, but I'm not sure if all will make the cut.  Stupid Blogger doesn't want to turn them the right direction today and I am too lazy to take another photo.  So you'll just have to turn your head sideways and look like an idiot, which is what I had to do when I put the picture up just now.  I am really liking those gazelles.

Hopefully by this weekend I will have enough to make a book.  Then we will copy and bind.  No promises yet, so don't go ordering a bunch until we have them in hand to ship out!  Still, the work continues.  Cora opened it up to suggestions for the coming books and many people sent us some wonderful ideas.  I have enough ideas to keep me busy drawing until Aiden comes home...which, I suppose is the idea!  I hope he comes soon!

Oh, also, we got some good news...but I am not sure I am supposed to share just yet, so I will refrain.  Just know that when I get permission to share it will be front page.
 

1 comment:

Lorrene said...

I use the expression "Til the cows come home". Now I will change it to "Til Aiden comes home".

What was that last little blurp about, Hey Soose. Some terrific news I hope, the suspence is gonna kill me!!!