Thursday, September 29, 2011

Photo Art Phriday, Balloons!

 I wanted to try to get out and take some shots this week, but, alas, my days were busy.  I went back through the pictures and I found a few that I had not posted a couple from the balloon rally.
 I began to think they were not artistic enough, I mean, yeah, they are colorful, but if you look at the other entries at Photo Art Friday, well, I think my photos began to pale...there are some REALLY great photos there!  So, I gave one of my shots another go.  That is below.
Yeah, my shots kind of just aren't up to snuff this week.  On the bright side, you can see some good ones at Pixel Dust!  Here! 

I was driving through town this afternoon.  The guy in front of me braked quickly, I braked quickly also, seeing that the guy in front of him had suddenly decided to turn into a crowded parking lot just past the stoplight.  About that time, I checked my mirror.  The guy behind me was not quite as quick on the brake.  I heard the tires squeal, and braced my foot on the brake.  He hit me alright.  No doubt about it.  I felt it pretty good.  I thought for sure there was a bit of a dent in my bumper.  We pulled over and I found the guy that hit me was an employee of the Washington State Department of Transportation.

He looked positively pale.  He looked very unhappy and quite worried.  I don't know if he thought I'd be angry or if he was just worried that working for the DOT this would not look good on his record.  I'm not exactly what people call threatening, and I was in a pretty good mood since I knew it wasn't my fault, so I figured it was the latter reason that was de-coloring him so.  I looked at the cars.  There was no damage.  Surprising since cars are made of tinfoil these days.  Still, I was happy to let it go as an OOOPS moment if he was.  He visibly relaxed when I said as much.  I wonder what those DOT bosses do to their employees when they get into an accident.

I taught today.  I had a kid that hasn't been working at all this week.  Today he was talking with his tablemates so much that they weren't working either.  I grew tired of his shenanigans and told him he should move to another table.  He said he wasn't going to.  I rephrased it, and said he WOULD move to another table.  He stood up and said he wasn't going to listed to this "F-----g F----t."  I immediately lost my friendly demeanor and pointed at the door.  I said, "Office.  Now."

I called up the Vice principal and said I was sending "Bill" to the office for disrespect and disruption of class.  The VP said, "Bill Smith?"  I said, "Ha-ha-how did you know?" (We have a LOT of "Bills" in that school)  Then I said, "Ahh, frequent flyer, huh?"  He said, "Send me an e-mail."  I only saw the kid once more, when he brought the science book back, in a much more respectful way than I expected.

All-in-all, it was a pretty good day.  REALLY it was.


Photo Art Friday

16 comments:

Nadege, said...

I don't know, I think your photos are quite up to snuff. The last one is very dramatic.
I would hate to hear about your bad days. :)

Marilyn said...

I think your photos are marvelous. Yes, everyone is ultra talented here, and I feel mine don't measure up, but then I tell myself that each of us has his own style. I love your hot air balloons.

nat said...

Balloon pictures, I love it! I went to a balloon fest this past weekend, too. It's hard not to take a ton of pictures! I love the dark background you edited onto that last picture.

Anonymous said...

Well if they aren't artistic enough they are in my book those are great shots.
As for the kid I'm glad you let him know he couldn't run over you!
Uncle Gene, Grandma L's brother works for the Oklahoma transportation department I guess he is my brother too, haheeheee
Aunt Carol

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

These photographs pack such a punch - they just command attention and admiration! I think they look like professional shots and am honored that you chose to share them with Photo Art Friday!!!

Birgitta said...

Marvelous colors, marvelours shots and work!

Pat said...

I love these photos! The composition of the last one is terrific, and that dramatic sky - wonderful!

A Creative Grace said...

they're still wonderful I think :) amazing sights to see, wonderful angle in that second one too!

Charissa said...

Wow. talk about a day. I still am amazed and in awe of teachers who work with other peoples' kids. Good job! And good job at relieving the anxiety of "DOT Man" he won't soon forget it I'm sure.

Have a good week. If you and C ever want to drop little c by while you check out the local wineries you can, or if you would rather trade crews, 4 for 1 HAHAHAH...

johanna said...

wonderful striking colors!!

Mariane said...

I believe there were something of your experiences that day you really wont have missed hehe.. Great work with the photos :)

Laura lok said...

i think your shots are great. nice and clear in the first ones and the dramatic colors in the lasts one great job

Nick said...

Hey, you put yourself down way too much! I just loved your entry for today's "Photo Art Friday"! Top job all round! Great post...that guy was lucky it was you in a good mood!

Cheers!

Nick...Thanks for your comment today!!

Ida said...

Nothing boring at all about your photo's. I love the colorful shots of your balloons. The bottom photo with the sky is really wonderful. I'm a "newbie" to photography and am trying to learn the texture stuff but can't afford the PSE program yet so my stuff is not as good as I'd like but I'm happy with what I came up with this week.
So glad your accident wasn't worse and the problem with the unruly kid worked out.
http://wishesdreamsandotherthings.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

great work you did! last photo is so beautiful!

Light Trigger: OUR ENTRY

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

I like your post-processing very much.

Regards and best wishes