Friday, April 9, 2010

The Pipes Are Alive With the Sound of Music

Yesterday, I had a job near where Cora works.  So, we drove to work together.

I had a pretty good day.  They were the fifth graders I have been revisiting all year long.  For some weird reason, the teacher keeps asking me back.

Of course, last time, I illustrated my customary subnotes.  It began with a submarine.  The second picture was of a surface warship going fast(destroyer with a bone in her teeth) it was placed near where I described an outburst of one of my students.  When I described my resolution to the problem of the student, I drew a picture of a submarine firing a torpedo next to it.  At the very end, when I described the way the kid came back to class after visiting the principal, I drew a picture of the surface ship sinking.  The sub won.  I think she appreciated the metaphor.

When I got off work I drove to Cora's work and went inside.  She suggested I take some pictures to supplement the ones they had up that were several years old.  This, of course, meant I would need to have the camera and a tour.  by chance (not really), I had the camera with me.  You never know when you will get a picture worthy of blogging...for instance, the "Club" picture I shared the other day.  (I would not run around with the camera if it wasn't so small.  It fits easily into a pocket)

So, we went around and took some pictures.  We will see how they are received.  In the meantime, here is a picture of Cora and me...don't I look cute in a bump cap?  We had just been in a cold room, so if we look cold, that's why.
Today, I subbed music at the El again.  Which does explain why the kids usually ask me if I am subbing for Music when they see me.  The teacher said she likes me because I can manage even when she doesn't leave me particularly detailed instructions.  I think that's a compliment.  

I had it easy, though.  The kids were composing their own scores.  All I had to do was look over their work and make sure they had gotten everything right.  (I can't read music, but I fake REAL good)  

It was enough to build one's ego, though.  As I stood just inside the doors toward the end of recess, i overheard some of the kids say, "Mr. Huffman's teaching Music! And we have Music today!!!"  "We get to have Mr. Huffman!"  It makes you feel good.  

Tomorrow, Cora and I are having my Sister and her family up, along with my parents, for a mutual celebration of our birthdays.  It seems our niece and nephews don't understand how one can have a birthday and NOT have a party.  This is a nod to their needs, plus, it's a decent reason to get the family together and play Wii.  Be assured we will have some embarrassing photos tomorrow!  

For now, you'll have to make do with the pipes below.

1 comment:

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Cora is looking very sexy in that hard hat!