Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mule Dry Creek

hidden valley

As I mentioned the other day, I went for a drive.  I ended up on a well coifed road that took me above a canyon.  To say the views were beautiful would be to understate things.  This land of ours, though I have forever hated their brown hues, is rich and diverse in its structures and shapes.  It just takes a vehicle with four wheels to prove it.  One thing I have learned over the past few years, is despite the fact that it looks boring from one angle, all you have to do is go over the next ridge or around the next corner and you can find surprising things. 

This canyon, holding a dry creek, is proof of that.  From the canyon mouth it looked like it may be a boring road to take, but it gained significant altitude and I hoped to find a reptile.  I was successful with the reptile within about two miles of the mouth.  However, the views attained there, enticed me to drive further.  I am glad I did.  I found an impressive road that I hope to visit again…with a more rugged vehicle, so the wife does not threaten to…hurt me if I drive her car on gravel roads again.

I just thought it was interesting that you just have to look for beauty to find it.  Often, it is looking you in the eye and you just haven’t trained yourself to see it.  I like going for drives in this little state of ours and finding those little things that make me happy.  That picture above is one of those things.

I subbed for fifth grade today.  I enjoyed it.  I don’t remember “number’s places” being that hard, but, hey, it’s been 26 years, what do I know?  I don’t know how many ways I showed them about how to read a number in text and translate it into numbers, but, apparently, I was not getting to all of them…Ahh, well, they aren’t mine, right?  Still, I tried.

How about them tomatoes?  Well, since you asked, we are still getting tomatoes off the vine.  I am still finding zucchinis and those silly damned yellow squash that took 23 months to ripen.  I should probably dig up the last of our carrots…damn, I hate fall.

1 comment:

Lorrene said...

I like fall and cooler weather.
My tomatoe are still getting ripe. It sure has been handy to just step outside and pick some ripe tomatoes. I am going to miss them.
Love the scenery picture.