Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 For Me.

And, now, in no particular order, what 2015 was to me:


  • I was a father for four years.
  • My daughter turned six.
  • I began my first year as a real teacher.
  • My grandmother has been dead for 25 years.
  • I was a fifth grader 30 years ago.
  • I turned one 40 years ago.
  • I noticed that wine is really cool.
  • I've been without my best friend (let's be honest, my best friend pre-girlfriend) for 18 years.
  • I've had a taste for whiskey for over 20 years.
  • I saw my favorite dog put to sleep.
  • WWII has been over for 70 years.
  • I bought my first Szechuan Peppercorns.
  • I ate Thai food for Thanksgiving.
  • I became the father of TWO girls.
  • Discovered that wine helps keep me a viable part of the population.
  • We've had more snow in the month of December than the rest of the year.
  • I harvested cucumbers and tomatoes at the first of November.
  • I planted my first Ginger plants...and they are coming along well!
  • I planted my first sweet potatoes from those bought at the supermarket, now I'm planting one of THOSE!!!
  • I've gained a deeper understanding of the books I read, and the stories within stories that are present.
  • I learned that wine is its whole other own food group.
  • I'm proud to be a husband and father.
  • I've thought I was the worst father/teacher/husband/son/brother ever.
  • I've realized I wasn't the worst father/teacher/ husband/ son/ brother ever.
  • I realized I don't really, deep down, give two shits about what others think of me.  Particularly when I am decorated with another person's snot or other bodily fluid.  This happens, screw you if you think it reflects bad upon me to wipe snot from my daughter's nose and rub it on my jeans.  It's parenthood, no one gets out alive. ...or with a full night's sleep for that matter, so go play in the freeway.
  • I like wine more and more.
  • I planted impatiens and they bloomed beautifully in the garden.
  • I realized I genuinely care about my students...dammit.
  • I realized the holidays are a bunch of work.
  • I recognized that New Years' is just another damned day.
  • I noticed that I would never have my life another way, it's difficult, and the participants are hard to deal with from time to time, and some of the scenarios really make me scratch my head, but all-in-all, it's a damn good life, and I am lucky to be a participant.
  • So, 2016, you better fucking impress me.
Where's my wine???

1 comment:

Lorrene said...

I Agree with one line 100%.
I recognized that New Years' is just another damned day.

With or without the wine.